Tuesday, September 8, 2009

WELL-SEASONED


A kicky, pepper-loving Parisian architect got this spice blend from a client's French cook, who created it for him on the spur of the moment during the kitchen remodeling...
 
Mix equal parts of black peppercorns, anis star-points and whole cloves. Grind in a spice mill to season grilled meats and fish or gratineed dishes. In a pinch, you can use a pepper mill like I do. 




A word about mills:  Since the 19th century, Peugeot has been and still is the reference for kitchen grinding mechanisms.  I surprised myself one day, when to make the point of how disgruntled I was because my brand new Peugeot couldn't be driven for weeks due to a delay to replace a defective part, I told a home-office commercial representative that, henceforth, I would not consider buying even a Peugeot pepper mill. That was easy to say because I already had one...

Tis the season:  Fill a spice mill-- preferably transparent so you can see what's in it--with this blend for a do-it-yourself gourmet specialty gift.

©2009 P.B.Lecron; photo by P.B. Lecron

1 comment:

  1. I used this blend to season a lemon, garlic & oregano marinade for baked chicken and it was out of this world, if I do say so myself! PBL

    ReplyDelete